Powerful Ford EV Pickup With Popular Options
With deliveries happening in all 50 states and a solid bank of pre-orders, the Ford F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck is quickly becoming one of the most popular EVs in the country. Owners are responding well to its combination of supreme smoothness, exceptional performance, amazing versatility, and good range (except when towing). Like gasoline F-150 models, the F-150 Lightning is available in a large variety of trim options that suit different needs, and Ford has recently added another. Think of the new F-150 Lightning Flash as a well-equipped tech-forward model with comparatively popular pricing.
With a starting MSRP of under $70,000 before incentives, the new F-150 Lightning Flash has the most in-demand tech features from the Lightning lineup. Chief among those features is the extended-range battery, which gives the Flash an EPA-estimated range of 320 miles. That’s more than enough for most work or personal use, and the 131-kW battery pack can also charge at a relatively fast 155 kW; Ford claims it can go from 15 to 80 percent in about 40 minutes.
Ford F-150 Lightning Flash: Charging
Like other F-150 Lightning drivers, Flash owners will have great access to public charging across North America. Ford’s BlueOval Charge Network feature gives drivers access to the most popular high-speed charging networks through one app and user account, making charging a breeze. The company claims that over 84,000 chargers are accessible though a BlueOval account.
Plus, starting in early 2024, Ford drivers will also have access to the Tesla Supercharger network, which comprises over 12,000 high-speed chargers in the U.S. and Canada – the largest dedicated Level 3 charging network. A simple plug adapter will make it easy for Lightning Flash owners to plug into Tesla chargers, making road trips even more convenient.
Of course, most owners will charge their Lightning at home – and doing so should be as simple as charging a phone. Programming charge times lets drivers take advantage of the least expensive rates for electricity overnight, saving even more on energy costs. Opting for the Ford Connected Charge Station unlocks additional features including the ability to use the F-150 Lightning’s battery to power the home in the case of a power outage.
High-Tech Features at Relatively Accessible Price
One of the F-150 Lightning Flash’s headline features is Ford’s BlueCruise “hands-free” driving technology. Available for use on certain stretches of highway, BlueCruise can make long freeway stretches more relaxing.
Version 1.2, which comes on the Flash, includes automated lane changes, which allows the vehicle to automatically change lanes when the driver taps the turn signal. The truck executes the lane change when the path is clear. BlueCruise also includes a lane repositioning function that not only keeps the F-150 Lightning in its lane, but can actually subtly shift the truck’s position away from vehicles in adjacent lanes.
The F-150 Lightning Flash expands on the workhorse XLT trim by adding many additional in-demand tech features. The XLT’s 12-inch central touchscreen is upgraded to 15.5 inches, making it easier to locate and select functions, and there’s a swipe capability for more natural interactions. Drivers will also get:
- Bang & Olufsen sound system with HD radio, eight speakers and a subwoofer
- Wireless phone charging pad in addition to wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Power-operated tailgate for easier access to the cargo area
- Tailgate step and work surface
- Tow technology package including pro trailer backup assist, trailer brake controller, smart trailer hitch, on-board scales, smart trailer connection and trailer reverse guidance
- Intelligent access with push-button start; the vehicle senses when you’re approaching and unlocks the vehicle
- SecuriCode wireless entry keypad on the driver’s side
Interestingly, the New 2024 F-150 Lightning Flash also includes a new heat pump, which should significantly improve its range during cold weather conditions. It’s unclear whether other 2024 Lightning models will feature this important upgrade.
2024 Ford F-150 Lightning Lineup
At the same time as it announced the new F-150 Lightning Flash, Ford also announced updated pricing for all 2024 F-150 Lightning models, which will be available for online reservations starting in early 2024.
- F-150 Lightning Pro with standard range: starting MSRP of $49,995
- F-150 Lightning XLT with standard range: starting MSRP of $57,495
- F-150 Lightning Flash (extended range standard): starting MSRP of $69,995
- F-150 Lightning Lariat (extended range standard): starting MSRP of $77,495
- F-150 Lightning Platinum (extended range standard): starting MSRP of $89,995
- Limited-edition F-150 Lightning Platinum Black (extended range standard): starting MSRP of for order at $97,995